You probably know all about pretzels, but in Alsace these classic treats are better known as ‘bretzels’. Their intricate shape is instantly recognisable, and they’re most commonly seasoned with salt for that distinctive taste.
Our twist on the classic ‘bretzel’ is a sweet version that’s perfect for dessert. Simple, delicious, and brilliantly different, this easy sweet pretzel recipe is the perfect end to a good meal. We recommend serving them with a bottle of Kronenbourg 1664 for a refreshing twist.
Now that’s what we call A Taste Suprême!
IngredientsNumber of servings – 10 pretzels
- • 225ml milk
- • 4 tbsp. honey
- • 375g plain flour
- • 1 tsp baking soda
- • 115g butter
- • 60g sugar
- • 5 tbsp ground cinnamon
- • 1 bottle of Kronenboug 1664 – for sipping!
1. Preheat your oven to 200oC/Gas Mark 6.
2. Combine the milk and honey in a bowl.
3. In another bowl combine the flour, 30g of the sugar, 3 tbsp. of the cinnamon, and the baking soda, then mix in the milk and honey until it is combined.
4. Knead the dough on a floured surface for around two minutes, then roll it out until it is about 1.5 cm thick. Cut it into 10 pieces.
5. Roll each piece into a long cylinder (aim for 10 inches), then fold each one into the classic pretzel shape and arrange on a baking tray.
6. Bake for around 10 minutes, or until the pretzels are golden brown.
7. In the meantime melt the butter gently, then add the rest of the sugar and cinnamon. Stir until the sugar has dissolved.
8. Remove your pretzels from the oven and brush them with the cinnamon butter, and serve with a chilled bottle of Kronenbourg 1664.
Tip: Put a twist on this delicious pretzel recipe by using a mixture of spices, such as nutmeg, in place of some of the cinnamon. The spiced taste of these pretzels is perfect for the upcoming festive season.
If you loved this pretzel recipe, why not share it with your friends and family? Bon appétit mes amis!